Hill View Manor was known as The Lawrence County Home for the Aged, also known as the poor house or poor farm, and housed the county’s mentally ill, severely destitute, and elderly residents that didn’t have any known family. The facility opened its doors on Tuesday, October 19, 1926. On that day the first twenty “inmates” took up residence in The Lawrence County Home. Amoung them was a young boy, although the home id not generally take children.
In June of 1944, county officials along with the director were accused of incompetency at the home. By late August of that year a new director had taken over operations and the home continued to operate for many years. In the latter half of the 1960s the home was remodeled and slowly changed into a skilled nursing center.
By 1970 the home was facing severe overcrowding issues. In December of 1974 the county decided to remodel some of its existing floors and add a new section which is now known as the North Wing. This would allow the home to accommodate another thirty or more residents. The north wing opened in mid 1977 and after a contest to find a more suitable name for the home it was renamed Hill View manor on March 22, 1977.
Hill View Manor closed its doors in 2004 due to financial constraints. Although it seems to sit quietly at the top of the grassy hill above Route 65, evidence of its history remains active.
October 29, 2010 Investigators: Beth Rosen, Matt Rosen & Lisa Shirkey with guest Bill Ortiz.
Location Photos: Click to enlarge
July 5, 2014 Investigators: Beth Rosen, Matt Rosen & Heather Olsen with guests Eric Singleton & Jen Kozlof.
Location Photos: (click to enlarge)
Grave Concerns Paranormal does not view findings presented on this page as evidence of ghosts or the paranormal. These are merely experiences that we can not explain at this time.