The original plantation known as Avenel was built circa 1838 by William M. Burwell and his wife, Frances Steptoe Burwell. Once Avenel was completed, the Burwell’s, along with their two young daughters, Letitia (Lettie) and Catherine (Kate), moved in with Frances’s widowed mother, Mrs. James Steptoe, and her son Edward. The Burwell’s then had two more daughters, Mary Frances (Fan), and Rosalie (Rosa). Unfortunately, their only son, James Steptoe Burwell, died at less than one year old.
In 1906, Avenel was purchased by J. W. Ballard. The home remained in the Ballard family until 1985, when it was purchased by the Avenel Foundation.
March 12, 2011 Investigators: Beth Rosen & Matt Rosen
Location Photos: (click to enlarge)
Findings: Nothing to report
Grave Concerns Paranormal does not view findings presented on this page as evidence of ghosts or the paranormal. These are merely experiences that we can not explain at this time.